This is a bit of a companion piece to doll…
This tutorial will cover how to patch up vinyl gaps and holes which is great for removing ears on Monster High dolls like Clawdeen Wolf or replacing the hard head caps on Create a Monster dolls. This is all made possible by a plastic glue called “Liquid Fusion.” I initially found out about this product from styrene modelers. It wasn’t until I got helpful advice from my local craft store that I gave it a try.
Liquid Fusion is great! Just see how well it held up to squeezing in the photo below!
If you’ve ever suffered the unfortunate torn scalps while prepping a doll for reroot, this glue will fuse the vinyl as needed. As seen above, the glue dries clear. To give the glue the same strength as the vinyl head for reroot, you’ll need to apply several coats until you get the right thickness.
Prepping your doll
For this tutorial, we will be using Clawdeen from the Wolf Sister pack.
To remove the head, you can try one of the following:[list style=”star”]
- Hold the head firmly and simply yank the head off. This method may be a little risky for inexperienced folk.
- Run the doll head under warm until the vinyl head softens then yank the head off.
- Use a blow dryer to heat the head just a little bit then yank the head off.
- Use pliers to gently pry the head off. As you can see in the above photo, try to anticipate the forks on the neck connector. This is also a little risky.
Once the head has been removed, cut the hair as close to the scalp as possible to make it easy to scrape or yank it out from the inside. Depending on the amount of glue used inside the doll, you may need to add a little bit of acetone or pour boiling water inside the head to help soften the glue and remove the hair. Use long nosed pliers or tweezers to pull the hair out from the neck hole.
Cut off Clawdeen’s ears using a cutter. Try to remove as little plastic as possible.
Using disposable plates or wax paper, dab a bit of Liquid Fusion just a little bigger than the holes to be covered up. Depending on the amount of glue applied, setting time may take from 30 minutes to 24 hours. Ideally, just leave these alone for 24 hours just to make sure!
The glue should dry in thin clear plastic strips. Use Liquid Fusion to attach them over the holes. Take the time to cover up any tears as well. Give the glue 24 hours to set.
Once the glue has set, use a cutter to trim the patches until you get it about the same level as the head. Careful not to tear off too much. Use PlasticFusion the add additional layers in case you over cut an area. If you used any PlasticFusion during this stage, wait for the glue to set again before moving on.
If you’ve gotten this far, you’ll notice that the patch alone is too thin and not strong enough to withstand re-root pressure. At this stage, you’ll need to pour Liquid Fusion inside the head. Better to do this in several applications which could last 3-7 days. You can poke the inside of the head with a q-tip to check if the glue has set.
You should squeeze the head just a little bit to test the strength or depth of the glue from the inside. Gently touching the patched holes should also give you somewhat of an idea if the patches are now as thick or about as thick as the vinyl heads.
I used the reroot tool method for this. See how well it held up?
Theoretically, Liquid Fusion might as well be an ideal glue to use to attach horns or ears, any kind of appendage on vinyl heads. Since it’s specifically designed for plastic, it’s probably good for the hard plastic parts on Monster High Dolls too (though I have not tried this yet!)
The holes created by Clawdeen’s ears were not that huge which is why it was able to withstand the pressure during reroot, but the holes on Create a Monster High dolls might not and are better off using donor vinyl with Liquid Fusion to fuse the plastics together. If you do want to use donor vinyl method to reroot CAM dolls and don’t have any donors, you can purchase patches from Retro Dolls. If you want to try though, this method could work for CAM dolls though I imagine that it would take a lot longer due to the amount of glue it takes to get the appropriate thickness.
Edit 3/12/2013: Aaaad after a repaint and a little bit of styling, here she is!